Anabolic steroids, also known as anabolic steroids, are artificially produced substances that are very similar to the male sex hormone testosterone in terms of their structure and effects.
Anabolic steroids are man-made hormones.
With testosterone, a distinction is made between an androgenic (affecting the male sex characteristics) and an anabolic (metabolism-promoting, muscle-building) effect.
All anabolic steroids used in sports are based on the male sex hormone testosterone. In the manufacture of the synthetic anabolic products, attempts have therefore been made to use the anabolic component. However, the androgenic part remains as a side effect.
Testosterone has two important properties:
- On the one hand it affects the internal and external male sexual characteristics (androgenic effect), on the other hand it affects the metabolism, especially the protein metabolism.
- It promotes protein build-up (anabolic effect) in the skeletal muscles, the body fat percentage is reduced, anabolic and androgenic effects determine the male appearance.
Anabolic steroids only work in conjunction with hard physical training and are taken as tablets or injected. Well-known anabolic steroid preparations are Dianabol, Stanozolol and Nandrolone.
How Anabolic Steroids Work
Anabolic steroids are different substances that are produced artificially. It is related to the male hormone testosterone but is synthetically produced. Why anabolic steroids are interesting for many athletes is due to the following reasons:
- Anabolic steroids lead to an increase in muscle mass
- In connection with targeted training, taking anabolic steroids leads to an increase in performance
- At the same time, there is a reduction in body fat percentage
- But endurance athletes also succumb to the appeal of anabolic steroids: the reason for this is that they can train longer and more intensively
Athletes notice a significant improvement in the ability to regenerate after taking anabolic steroids. Even after a long training session or after a strenuous competition, it is possible to continue training at the same level.
The usual steroids are based on the male sex hormone testosterone. They are usually swallowed in the form of tablets, injected or applied to the skin as a gel. The active substance then enters the bloodstream and from there into the muscle tissue. In the muscle tissue, the active substance settles at certain points in the cell and penetrates it. Once in the cell nucleus, the steroid causes an increased production of new body tissue, especially muscle cells.